Burggarten (Castle Garden)
The castle garden is located in the south-east of the Old Town of Wels and surrounds the Castle of Wels, which has been lately turned into a cultural center. It can be accessed through three gates: one from Stadtplatz in the north, one from Adlerstrasse in the east, and one from Burggasse in the west.
The garden of the Castle of Wels consits of the bailey and the garden with a small elevated patio, located on the eastern enclosure wall. The garden is of special architectural and historic interest because it is squar-shaped and faces the magnificently designed back sides of historic town houses in the East and North.
The "flower swirl" which is located right on the central lawn was created for the Landesgartenschau (a regional garden and flower festival) in 1997. In the north-western corner there is a dove tree (Davidia involucrata var. Vilmoriniana), a rarity which delighting the visitors with its flowerage from May to June.
There is also a playground for small children in the eastern part of the garden. It was located on an elevated patio, which was built on the foundations of the former city wall.
Close to the playground the monument of the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I reminds the visitors that the emperor, also often called "the last knight", died in the Castle of Wels in 1519.
The open space of the former private garden is secluded and quite, the paved inner ward of the castle is used for cultural events and as outdoor cafè. The visitors can rest on numerous benches, especially in summer the shady garden attracts the people from Wels and other visitors.
Am Zwinger (the outer ward)
The outer ward runs along the southern city wall and the former Mühlbach, a rivulet, and can be accessed from Adlerstraße, Traungasse, Burggasse, Pollheimerstraße and through a passage from the former Minoritenkloster, a former Minorite cloister.
There is also a park which is called "Am Zwinger" which runs along the outer ward of the city. The location of the park, well secluded behind the Gründerzeit villas and the city wall and yet right in the city center, gives a special atmosphere to the recreation area.
The Pollheimerpark is located in the western part of the Ringstraßen complex, which was designed in the Gründerzeit after the Viennese model. A promenade along the avenue Pollheimerstraße surrounds the park. The park is bordered by the town houses which were built along the city wall between the Schloss Pollheim and the Ledererturm, an old tower. Two passages connect the park with the old town through the Freiung. The park was redesigned in 1999. A rather old tree population of maple trees, lindens and chestnut trees adorns the paths, reminding the of how historic the recreation area is.
Volksgarten (Municipal Garden)
In 1879 the local Verschönerungsverein (an association devoted to embellishing public areas) was granted the permission to build the Volksgarten, the Municipal Garden, in front of the Stadthalle (public hall for cultural and social events).
In 1999 the City of Wels redesigned the garden in the entrance area and the forecourt of the Stadthalle.
The Kornspeicher, literally "The Granary", is a beautiful park in the center of the city, located in the passage which connects Stadtplatz 46 with Freiung 15. It was opened in 1941.
Recreation Center Wimpassing
The recreation center Wimpassing is located in the western part of the city. It was built in 1985 and is about 130.000qm big. There are several playgrounds for children of all ages, a snack bar, BMX trails, a barbecue area, several ball game facilities, a trail for walking and running, as well as fish ponds.